29 January 2015

Changing Your Set Up?

As we approach the end of the first month of the new year, I'm sure a lot of you are either using the same set up that you did last year.... why change something that works. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' as the famous saying goes....

I'm sure there are quite a few readers that have tried out a variation on last years set up or a completely new set up compared to last year.

My own set up is largely unchanged, but I'm always looking to improve it, a small tweak here or there to improve various aspects of it.

It goes without saying that there is no universal set up that will work for everyone. We all lead different lives and we all put different demands on our organisers on a daily basis. What suits one person will not suit some one else.

So I'm not going to attempt convince you to go big rings or go small rings, or A5, Personal or Pocket. There are so many variations to this common problem.....

So if your set up is working well... leave it... don't change it just on a whim.  But in the case of someone who is new to paper planning or their circumstances have changed and whilst you thought it was the perfect set up it might not be working quite as you expected.

By all means change your set up in what ever way you need to to make it work..... but a word of caution.... don't make too many changes at once.

Only change one thing at a time and give it may be two weeks before you decide if that change (what ever it was) is going to make your organiser work for you.

By making your changes one step at a time you will understand the problems better and the set up will stand the test of time unless your circumstances change of course.....

12 comments:

  1. I went back old school day timer day on one page and note page. I'm loving the space to write. I tend to brain dump a lot during the day so I can do that no problem. I also being in sales have to keep track of new customers during the day. And report out at night. Again the space is great. So we'll see but for now it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi, what binder are you using to house your DT inserts, and how much can you carry in it at a time? Just interested to know..........

      Delete
  2. When working I was supplied witha coil weekly and monthly calendar which I used for everything. This year I am retired and am using a pocket Tuscany Filofax which I bought years ago. I started with two weeks per page but soon added a blank sheet and a to do list. Retirement is not as quiet as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I am using a week insert that I designed I like this change. I also noticed how much I was spending on inserts I bought compared to what I designed. I agree that any change with a binder or insert should be done thoughtfully. There is such a strong emphasis on constant and excessive shopping on the internet. One can then buy too many binders and products that are unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely make any changes to my set up based on GTD as it suits me very well. I admit that I am tempted when looking at other people's systems, but for me it could be too easy to waste too much time & money so I stick with what already works. Thanks for a great reminder, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, looking forward to comparing GTD-based systems with you in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
    2. Hi David,
      Yes, it will be great to meet up & compare our binders! I have a suspicion I may be tweaking mine afterwards :)

      Delete
  5. You mean to say there is a perfect system?! I believe that being able to tweak systems is one of the benefits of paper vs digital. There are only so many options with an app but the options are practically endles with a planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only endless, but I think we must have tried most of them by now, between us!

      Delete
  6. My system has not changed much, but I now use Franklin Covey Compact size inserts (4.25" x 6.75"). I have a Frankenstein-type thing going. Only the calendar section, tabbed Mo2P and Wo2P, are FC. The extra .5" really makes a difference even if my writing tends to be small (thanks to my Frixion .5). All other pages are FF Personals. I've inserted FC Page lifters on either side of the calendar, so a stable writing surface is not an issue. Lists on Personal size pages are inserted between the week pages. This lets me not forget that there's more week behind it.
    Right now my poor Saffiano looks a little snuggle toothed, but it's working

    ReplyDelete
  7. For 14 years I've used a week on one page pocket size, either filofax or moleskine, but this past fall became so hectic that I had pages that were written over and highlighted to the point that they were stressful to use. I decided to get a personal size filofax, and I've put Franklin Covey Blooms day on 2 pages in it. Three months worth. Only the month tabs stick out, and I don't mind that. They are so restful, all that free space even when I've written what seems like a lot to me. I still using the pocket Filofax with weekly pages, but for forward planning. My daily is now the personal size, and I'm really liking it. It's a relief, and very beautiful I think in the black filo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just switched to DIYFish WO2P S1V3 inserts. I absolutely love themnot sure how I use to plan without them.

    ReplyDelete