22 June 2006

Dirty Little Secret

Index cards in my Filofax.

See, in the summer of 2005, I had been using a Palm Pilot for all of my organizational and most of my notetaking needs for about 6 years. I was good at it, too. I took meeting notes into it using a portable keyboard. I always, always, had every single address, phone number, and password I ever needed in it. I knew how to run Word and Excel on it. I had just taken it on vacation INSTEAD of a laptop, and worked on the plane and kept up with email using it. I read newspapers and magazines on its screen. I could get online with it by connecting through my cellphone via infrared. I never missed birthdays or appointments (unless I really wanted to). And yet, in the middle of that year, an organizational crisis hit me like a runaway Acela.

Looking at the world through a 2.5" inch square window was changing me. My abilities to prioritize, to ponder, to see the big picture were suffering. I was spending half a day a week troubleshooting my electronic system, because the software that synched the device's information was getting slower and buggier, not better. (What's up with that?) Plus, I had a chronically sore left shoulder from gripping the thing as I stabbed away at Graffiti or Tetris with my right hand. I had to change.

Meanwhile, about 1/3 of the population of North America had marched in lockstep to a bookstore, bought David Allen's Getting Things Done and a Moleskine, stopped off at Staples for manila files and index cards, then went home and started a blog about it. The next few months were a blur. A torturously difficult, time pressured project at work was upon me, and I had NO SYSTEM.

I spent a week transferring my life into Circus Ponies Notebook, then Aquaminds Note Taker. Then back to iCal and StickyBrain. Or could I really do everything on index cards, maybe with a Flylady 3-ring binder on the kitchen counter? But how would I keep work, home, and portability synched? Or was the need for synchronization just an illusion? 200 filled-up index cards later, I still hadn't found a solution. The beginning of my return to sanity was the Levenger Circa system. I read the GTD book and implemented it on these movable pages. But I hated the way the stuff looked and felt. Simpler tools kept beckoning. I still have some of that stuff waiting to be sold on eBay.

Then my Dad gave me 2 Moleskines for Christmas 2005, so it was time to give them a try. I decided to go all-analog, all-the-time for 2006, and not reanalyze again until the end of the year. I bought a dated diary, Moleskines in various shapes and sizes, and a fresh supply of index cards. I set up a manila 12-month/31 day tickler file like a good GTD'er.

Problem was, I'm allergic to redundancy. Anything I captured on an index card, sooner or later needed to be recorded somewhere else. Anything I wrote in a Moleskine often had to be rewritten somewhere else in order to be usable, since you can't move pages around. If I write something stupid, I need to be able to tear the page out and start over. I need to take two pages that are related and place them behind the same tab.

And so I tiptoed down to the basement, dusted off an almost-forgotten shoebox and found what I hoped would still be there. A well-used, tattered, Personal-size Filofax (actually, it was made by Coach) in royal blue leather. Abandoned for a decade, but accompanied by archives of pages that showed I had actually met a lot of life goals (and was still failing at others!) from 10 years earlier. I bought some new Filofax pages, and started using it, copying in the big file jacket of index cards, circa pages, and Moleskines I'd been carrying forward. I used it so well, in fact, that it was bursting at the already-worn seams in a week. Even the Personal size page was cramping my style.

So I made the leap to the A5 size for my "life book," with the Pocket size as my analog PDA. I dumped the contents of that old Coach organizer (and how I wish I'd taken a picture of it before trashing it) into the big, red file jacket, and started moving my life into Filofaxes. But a few remnants of my dailliance on the Dark Side remain...index cards slipped into my Pocket Filofax.

The next time I post a picture of this Filofax, those cards will be GONE.

4 comments:

  1. Nan, you have given validity to my urge to buy another Filofax. My wife already thinks I am insane for having bought two. (Having bumped up from Personal to A5.) I am going to visit my local Filofax merchane and lust over the Pocket or Mini sizes this weekend. I would need the pages to be transplantable into my A5, which I think limits me to the Pocket size. I wonder if the Mini inserts would do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, again, I so glad to see this blog back up and running. One of the best things for me from the frenzy of GTD is 3x5 grid index card. I carry some of them with me always and when I note something, camera setting, good locations, good light, picture ideas I just put the card into the date page in my Filofax...this makes the information really sortable and moveable. Works for me, your mileage may differ. Thanks, Jim
    www.photoday.blogspot.com
    www.scolman.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim! Yes, index cards are the absolute best for some things. They're clearly helping you in a big way.

    I use them to "beam" information to other people. I keep a stack on my desk and some in a Filofax pocket. When I have a lot of stuff to do, what works best is to put each task on a card. Then I can figure out what order makes sense, stack 'em up, and then start doing what's on the top card.

    My problem is, they're so handy, I have a tendency to write on them things that really belong somewhere else. Then I have to later copy what's on the card into my journal, add it to an existing list in my Filofax, or whatever.

    I also kind of feel I "should" use my Filofaxes for everyting, now that I've spent $$ on them.* But maybe I should stop being so much of a purist. Then again, it was no fun this morning when I was buying coffee and all these index cards fell out of my Filo and onto Starbucks' floor....

    * By the way, Philofaxer, I rationalize my expenditure by saying I don't spend as much on Filofaxes as most women spend on shoes! The models I buy don't cost more than a nice dinner for two in a major city, and you get to keep them a lot longer!

    ReplyDelete