26 April 2015

Reader Under the Spotlight - Robert

Today I would like to introduce you to Robert. 

Introduction: Hello there; I'm Robert, originally from Gladstone, Minnesota, now living in Las Vegas.  I work in the automotive industry.  For a long time I was a disorganized Floating Papers person.  Then I got into organisers, and now my productivity is much improved.  I pay close attention to Philofaxy for tips and hacks.
 
 
1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

My first one was a classic size Franklin Covey in 2012, which I quickly swapped out as the 3/4" rings were much too small for my needs.
 
2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

Time/system, Filofax, DayTimer (have bought many inserts and pages from them), Rolodex.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My main one is a severely overstuffed (4 lb.) classic Franklin Covey with 1 1/2" rings that gets a daily workout.  It's so full I can barely zip it shut anymore.
 
4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

FC classic, FC compact I'm keeping as an extra, A5 size Time/system and a Filofax Mini.  I also have several FC binders that I use to store extra pages.
 
5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

The Time/system one is from the 1990s, I think.  When I got it off eBay it came loaded with 1996 calendar pages.
 
6. What do you use your organisers for?

The Time/system I keep in my desk and use for work stuff.  The Filofax Mini is my wallet, which works really well for me.  The classic FC is for everything outside of work.
 
7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

FC classic front to back: Finances/Calendar/Compass cards/Goals/Journal/Key Information/Meetings/Notes/Occasions/Phone calls/Progressive task lists/Projects/Shopping lists/To do lists/Values/Websites
 
8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

The ability to move stuff around on the rings as needed.

9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Two pen loops, lots of zip pockets, A5 size or bigger.
 
10. How do you carry your Filofax?

It's so heavy I don't carry it much; perhaps to work if I'm going to have extra time during the day for personal stuff.  It has a handle like a little briefcase, which is very convenient.
 
11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I love my Filofax Mini--it makes the best wallet I've ever had.  I have a few pages on the rings for notepaper, but otherwise I use it strictly as a wallet.  I may have to get another one soon, as what I have now is getting a little old.  What a shame Filofax discontinued the Mini.
 
12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

$65 for the Time/system and another $100 for forms and accessories I was missing.

13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Setting it up as a wallet.  What a neat idea!

14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

Adspot has been a big help.

15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

I don't think there's anything I dislike!

16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

"Death Rattle," the album by Minneapolis band Laughing Stock.
 
17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

I don't know that there's ever been one here in Vegas, but I might very well attend one.
 
18. What was the last movie you watched?

A film I never tire of: "Glengarry Glen Ross."  The dialogue is perfect.
 
19. What was the last book you read?

"Shattered Peace," book one of the Ravenpaw trilogy by Erin Hunter.  Warrior cats!

Thank you Robert.

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! a 4 pounder....that's quite the stuffed binder.....

    Also, is it really true that Filofax has discontinued the Mini size?....if so, that is a shame....

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert. I don't have a Time system filo (yet) but the internal layout is my ideal. I'm interested to know what model mini do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having googled 'discontinued mini filofax' in a panic, it looks like the mini was discontinued in the US but is still available in the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a relief....thanks for the info...

      Delete
  4. Hi Robert, a 4lb. Franklin? Long time FC user here. I've tried other brands, but keep coming back to FC. I downsized this year, from a classic to a compact, but it sounds like you have WAY more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Mini Cross.

      Delete
    2. whoops, that didn't belong there. Yes, I need to downsize. Too much stuff in there.

      Delete