14 August 2016

Readers Favourite Organiser - Elizabeth

Thank you to Elizabeth for sharing with us her favourite organiser. 

1. What is your favorite organizer (Make/model/size)?

This is the Filofax Gloucester with 1/2" rings, in brown.

2. How long have you owned it? 

I've only owned this for about a month and a half. When I bought it on eBay I thought it was burgundy, and was very disappointed it was brown. On looking it over, I found it to be a very nice shade, like cognac, or oak leaves in the fall, and I quite fell in love with it!




3. What is it that you like about it so much? 

It's a 6-pocket model. On the left are two stamp pockets, top and bottom (see those tiny things?), with a credit card pocket in between. Behind is a full-length slip pocket. I love the curved lines of these. It is such a surprise when you open it up and see such charm — like a secret, just for you. The design allows you to grab what you need easily and put it back almost without thinking.

On the right is a full-length gusseted pocket behind, with a second full-length pocket in front. Here again is a delightful surprise, to be able to store so much in the big pocket, and also to keep a couple of papers more securely in the curved-edge one. And all the curves are just so pretty!


I think that's what I enjoy so much in this planner. It looks so plain and utilitarian on the outside, then when you open it the design is so beautiful, yet so accommodating. It really is small enough to fit in a coat pocket, but it can hold almost everything you'd need it to. And — it squeaks like a saddle! That's so cute!

4. Do you use it all the time? 

Because I've only had it a short time, I'm still trying to see how I can use it best. I've tried it as my EDC, but I can't live in a slim-line. With a slight modification (mentioned below) it works really well when shopping. The rings are just big enough for lists and a few card holders, and the pockets for receipts. After I get home, I can then easily remember to clean it out and file them so they don't accumulate in a pile somewhere as they too frequently do. lol


5. Do you think the design could be improved in any way? How?

As far as design, I don't really know how it could be improved. It's meant to be carried in a coat pocket, or a small purse, yet hold quite a lot, and for that purpose, it's quite well thought-out.

I will say though, that it could stand a pen holder. A Leuchtturm attached to a plastic flyleaf works perfectly, but that just admits the need.


If I must, I will also admit that the stamp pocket design doesn't fit this era. I don't think even a sampling of washi-tape would fit there. But I wouldn't like to see it re-designed, so that maybe you could fit two credit cards on that side. Me personally, I like that it's a little bit of wasted space; I don't mind that, as 90% of the pockets in my planners don't get used anyway. And the stamp pocket's — well, I won't say old-fashioned — their un-modern quaintness appeals to me.



Overall, for a recent purchase, this organiser has fast moved up my line of categories, from a 'We'll see' to, not just 'Keeper' but 'Won't sell.'

Thank you Elizabeth. 

If you would like to share with us the details of your favourite organiser, please contact steve @ philofaxy dot com 

4 comments:

  1. Would the stamp pockets fit SD cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Elizabeth. Brown calf leather is just as nice as burgundy too.
    A little pad of peel-able page markers might fit in the stamp pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this article!! Super well written and lovely insight on this beautiful Filofax. I think the stamp pocket is really representative of a time and I agree with you that it should stay like that. I was going to say that it may fit a flash drive or SD card as someone else suggested... I usually find it useful to have any of those with me just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty!! I still always carry stamps and an envelop with me and often found it more convenient than scanning a document and sending it per email.

    ReplyDelete